Show Summary Details
Finance & Development, September 1973
- Development and Income Distribution: Economic growth has been accompanied by increasing inequality in many developing countries. But a strategy of “nibbling” at the problems of income distribution through financial and technical assistance seems promising.
- The Plight of Small Countries: Small countries receive more aid than big ones, on both a per capita basis and as a percentage of their GNP. But this may not be as unfair as it seems.
- Priorities for Statistical Development: In improving social and economic statistics in developing countries, scarce resources such as skilled manpower and technical facilities can be best used by concentrating on priority sectors.
- How Relevant is Finance for Development?: Existing financial policies, practices, and institutions in many developing countries are a major obstacle to economic growth.
- Economic Aid Through Debt Relief: Long-term foreign assistance, or help toward resolving a short-term liquidity problem?—a look at this sensitive issue with a table summarizing multilateral debt renegotiations 1956-73.
- Incomes and Labor Market Policies in Sweden: Direct controls have been replaced by fiscal and monetary policies and energetic efforts by the Swedish Government to retrain and redeploy labor. The authors describe how well these measures have reconciled price stability with full employment and economic growth.
- Problems and Prospects in East-West Trade: If the political and economic barriers continue to fall, rising real income in Eastern Europe will push demand for imports above the 11 per cent annual increase of the past decade.
- Income Distribution and Project Selection: The third London Airport serves as an example of how noneconomic issues and income distribution might have been introduced along with the efficiency criterion at a very early stage of project selection. If it had, the site chosen might be different….
- IMF Resident Representatives: An important aspect of the Fund’s technical assistance effort is the work of its Resident Representatives in member countries.
- Mail survey results: The Readership of Finance and Development: A summary of the results of the 1973 survey of the English, French, and Spanish mailing lists.
- Book Notices
- Fund Acitvity
- Bank Group Activity
- Views and Comments