Committee on Reform of the International Monetary System and Related Issues1
- International Monetary Fund. Secretary's Department
- Published Date:
- October 1972
September 28, 1972
1. The Committee of the Board of Governors of the International Monetary Fund on Reform of the International Monetary System and Related Issues (the Committee of 20) held its inaugural meeting in Washington, D.C., on September 28, 1972. The Committee consists of one member appointed by each country or group of countries appointing or electing an executive director of the Fund, with the participation of Mr. Pierre-Paul Schweitzer, the Managing Director of the Fund. Each member of the Committee may appoint two associates. A list of the members of the Committee and their associates is attached to this communiqué.
2. The inaugural meeting was convened by the Chairman of the Board of Governors, Mr. Ali Wardhana, to organize the work of the Committee. At the meeting, the Committee selected Mr. Ali Wardhana to serve as its Chairman.
3. In its task of advising the Board of Governors with respect to all aspects of reform of the international monetary system the Committee will be assisted by the Deputies, who are composed of two deputies appointed by each member of the Committee. Mr. C. J. Morse was selected by the Committee to be Chairman of the Deputies.
4. The Committee took note of the Report of the Executive Directors on Reform of the International Monetary System. They exchanged views on the future work of the Committee, and expressed their determination to make rapid progress toward agreement on reform of the international monetary system. They requested the Deputies to develop promptly a program of work in preparation for a meeting which the Committee expects to hold about the end of this year. The Chairman of the Deputies will inform the Chairman of the Committee after each meeting of the Deputies of the progress they have made. The first meeting of the Deputies is to take place on September 29, 1972.
Committee on Reform of the International Monetary System and Related Issues 1 September 29, 1972
|Anthony Barber||Sir Leslie O’Brien||D.J. Mitchell|
Sir Alan Neale
|Y.B. Chavan||Tajuddin Ahmad|
N. M. Perera
I. G. Patel
|Antonio Delfim Netto||Rodrigo Llórente|
Guillermo Marco del Pont
|Paulo H. Pereira Lira|
|Mustapha Faris||Lt. Col. Enninful|
|Costa P. Caranicas|
|Kjell-Olof Feldt||Jaakko Lassila|
|Valéry Giscard d’Estaing||Olivier Wormser||Claude Pierre-Brossolette|
|Menasse Lemma||J. M. Mwanakatwe|
|Victor E. Bruce|
E. I. M. Mtei
|Cayetano A. Licciardo||Alfonso Arcos|
Adolfo C. Diz
|Giovanni Malagodi||Guido Carli|
Alberto Monreal Luque
|Hugo B. Margáin||Roberto Incer B.
|Ernesto Fernández Hurtado|
|R. J. Nelissen||Janko Smole|
|Sambwa Pida Nbagui||H. Konan Bédié|
Tshishimbi wa Bilenga
|Helmut Schmidt||Karl Klasen||Otmar Emminger|
|George P. Shultz||Arthur F. Burns|
Paul A. Volcker
|J. Dewey Daane|
Paul A. Volcker
|B. M. Snedden||Nicolaas Diederichs|
R. D. Muldoon
|H. G. Lang|
Sir Frederick Wheeler
|John N. Turner||George Colley|
|G. Arthur Brown|
Wm. C. Hood
|Koshiro Ueki||Tadashi Sasaki||Koichi Inamura|
|A. Vlérick||Hannes Androsch|
|Ali Wardhana||Bisudhi Nimmanhaemin|
Tan Siew Sin
|Choi Siew Hong|
Choon Taik Chung
|Abdul Hassan Zalzalah||Khalil Salim|
See Resolution No. 27-10, pages 353–56.
The chairman of the Board of Governors, Ali Wardhana, convened the inaugural meeting of the Committee on September 28, 1972, at which time he was selected as Chairman of the Committee and C.J. Morse (United Kingdom), Executive Director of the Bank of England, was selected Chairman of the Deputies. The Deputies selected Alexandre Kafka (Brazil), Executive Director of the International Monetary Fund, and Robert Soloman (United States), Advisor, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, as Vice Chairmen of that body.