D. Increases in Quotas of Members-Sixth General Review
- International Monetary Fund
- Published Date:
- June 1991
WHEREAS the Executive Directors have considered the adjustment of the quotas of members in accordance with the Resolution of the Board of Governors of the International Monetary Fund at its 1975 Annual Meeting:
That the Board of Governors, having noted the report of the Executive Directors entitled “Increases in Quotas of Members—Sixth General Review,” dated August 22, 1975, and having endorsed the understandings reached so far by the Interim Committee on this subject, continues its review under Article III, Section 2 and requests the Executive Directors to complete as promptly as possible their work on this matter on increases in individual quotas and on the mode of payment of subscriptions in respect of them and to submit appropriate proposals to the Board of Governors, after consideration of them by the Interim Committee;
WHEREAS the Executive Directors have submitted to the Board of Governors a report entitled “Increases in Quotas of Fund Members—Sixth General Review” containing recommendations on increases in the quotas of individual members of the Fund; and
WHEREAS the Interim Committee of the Board of Governors on the International Monetary System has endorsed the recommendations contained in the report of the Executive Directors; and
WHEREAS the Executive Directors have been requested to prepare and submit to the Board of Governors as soon as possible proposals to amend the Articles of Agreement of the Fund, including a proposal for the modification of the provisions relating to the payment of increases in quotas; and
WHEREAS the Executive Directors have recommended the adoption of the following Resolution of the Board of Governors, which Resolution proposes increases in the quotas of members of the Fund as a result of the sixth general review of quotas and deals with certain related matters, by vote without meeting pursuant to Section 13 of the By-Laws of the Fund;
NOW, THEREFORE, the Board of Governors hereby RESOLVES that:
1. The International Monetary Fund proposes that, subject to the provisions of this Resolution, the quotas of members of the Fund shall be increased to the amounts shown against their names in the Annex* to this Resolution, provided that any member may consent to an increase in its quota that is smaller than the one shown in the Annex, and may consent thereafter to further increases up to the amount shown against its name in the Annex not later than the date prescribed by or under paragraph 5 below. Each increase shall be a whole number in millions of special drawing rights.
2. A member’s increase in quota as proposed by this Resolution shall not become effective unless the member has notified the Fund of its consent to the increase not later than the date prescribed by or under paragraph 5 below and has paid the increase in quota in full, provided that no increase in quota shall become effective before (i) the effective date of the second amendment of the Articles or (ii) the date of the Fund’s determination that members having not less than three fourths of the total of quotas on February 19, 1976 have consented to increases in their quotas, whichever is the later of these dates.
3. A member shall pay 25 percent of the increase in special drawing rights, the currencies of other members specified, with their concurrence, by the Fund, or in the member’s own currency, and shall pay the balance of the increase in its own currency.
4. A member shall, within six months after the date of the adoption of this Resolution, make arrangements satisfactory to the Fund for the use of the member’s currency in the operations and transactions of the Fund in accordance with its policies, provided that the Executive Directors may extend the period within which such arrangements shall be made.
5. Notices in accordance with paragraph 2 above shall be executed by a duly authorized official of the member and must be received in the Fund not later than one month after the effective date of the second amendment of the Articles, provided that the Executive Directors may extend this period as they may determine.
6. Each member shall pay to the Fund the increase in its quota within 60 days after (a) the date on which it notifies the Fund of its consent or (b) the effective date of the second amendment of the Articles or (c) the date of the Fund’s determination under paragraph 2(ii) above, whichever is latest.
7. The seventh general review of quotas shall be completed by February 9, 1978.
Resolution No. 31-2
March 22, 1976
Not included in this publication.