Appendix B. Rates for Computations and Adjustment of the Fund’s Holdings of Currencies
- International Monetary Fund
- Published Date:
- January 1977
The following decision is adopted in order to facilitate the conduct of the operations of the Fund involving currencies for which rates are not maintained within the margins under Article IV, Section 3 of the Articles or Executive Board Decision No. 904-(59/32).
1. Computations by the Fund under the Articles of Agreement relating to a member’s currency for which rates within the margins of Article IV, Section 3 or Executive Board Decision No. 904-(59/32) are not maintained will be made on the basis of the representative rate for that currency under Rule O-3 whenever these calculations are made (i) for the purpose of a transaction with the Fund involving the purchase or sale of that member’s currency by another member, and (ii) for such other purposes as the Fund may decide. Computations under this paragraph will be made on the basis of the representative rate for the currency on the day specified in paragraph 2 below.
2. For computations for the purpose of Article V, Sections 1(b) and 8(f) the rate shall be that at which the Fund values its holdings of the currency on the day for which the computation is made. For computations relating to other transactions, including computations involving currency substituted pursuant to Schedule B, paragraph 1(d) and paragraph 1 of Executive Board Decision No. 3049-(70/44), the rate shall be that of three business days before the value date of the transaction and, if this is not possible, the rate of the day closest thereto that is practicable.
3. Whenever a computation relating to a member’s currency is made on the basis of a representative rate in accordance with paragraph 1 above, the Fund will adjust all of its holdings of the currency on the basis of that rate, and such adjustment will take effect as of the day specified for the computation in paragraph 2 above.
4. Whenever the Fund adjusts its holdings of a member’s currency in accordance with paragraph 3 above, the Fund shall establish an account receivable or an account payable, as the case may be, in respect of the amount of the currency payable by or to the member under Article IV, Section 8. For the purpose of applying the provisions of the Articles as of any date, the Fund’s holdings of the currency will be deemed to be its actual holdings plus the balance in any such account receivable or minus the balance in any such account payable as of that date. Settlements of accounts receivable or payable shall be made promptly after each April 30 and at other times when requested by the Fund or the member.
5. The suspension of Rule O-3 (i) pursuant to Paragraph II of Executive Board Decision No. 3537-(72/3) G/S is terminated. Executive Board Decision No. 3537-(72/3) G/S and Executive Board Decision No. 321-(54/32), as amended, are terminated.
6. This decision shall be reviewed as necessary.
Decision No. 3637-(72/41) G/S,
May 8, 1972, as amended by
Decision No. 5074-(76/63) G/S,
May 5, 1976